[Esip-preserve] [FOO] Foo Project moves to Google Spreadsheets

Kenneth S. Casey Kenneth.Casey at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 12 06:54:37 EDT 2010

Curt - I've been quiet on this list owing to lack of time to respond, but I did want to say that I think your FOO analysis is excellent and I've been following it closely!  Thanks so much. I think this approach is (1) extremely informative and (2) very comforting... comforting because the Group for High Resolution SST (http://ghrsst.org), a big international effort that produces standardized SST data from multiple satellites around the world that I participate in, just decided to use UUIDs embedded in a netCDF attribute for every single granule. It also plans to use DOIs for the collections being generated by the network of data providers from around the world.  The UUID usage is part of the new version of the "GHRSST Data Specification Version 2 (GDS2) " which was just published on October 1st.  The GDS version 1 produced about 30 collections and 1.5 million netCDF files, and there will be even more GDS2 data in just the next few years... so, we'll see how well this approach works...

Ken

On Oct 11, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Curt Tilmes wrote:

> This is a read/only link:
>
> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BztPCL0EZx_3NWI4OTQwN2ItMjU3OC00ZGIwLWFlNjUtNWY1OTE3MGJjNDUw&hl=en
>
> Mostly cut/pasted from my earlier emails.
>
> I did add one additional file, a "FOOLUT" lookup table that is an
> input to APP_L2.  We can change the version of the APP independently
> from the version of the LUT and explore the various provenance graphs.
>
> I'm attaching a basic data flow diagram.  (I also pasted an SVG
> version of this diagram into the spreadsheet, but it doesn't come
> through every browser.)
>
> I'm also trying to always include the "[FOO]" tag so you can filter
> your ESIP-Preserve list if you aren't following this scenario and
> want to trim down the clutter.
>
> So far, this simple scenario has:
>
> 1. Shown how DOI works well to identify and locate "ESDT+Collection".
>
> 2. Show how DOI doesn't precisely identify sets of granules.
>
> 3. Show how UUID can be used to unambiguously refer to individual granules.
>
> Curt

[NOTE: The opinions expressed in this email are those of the author alone and do not necessarily reflect official NOAA, Department of Commerce, or US government policy.]

Kenneth S. Casey, Ph.D.
Technical Director
NOAA National Oceanographic Data Center
1315 East-West Highway