[Esip-preserve] On Earth Science Data File Uniqueness

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 9 10:21:31 EST 2011

On 02/09/11 10:14, Bruce Barkstrom wrote:
> The question on my mind is sort of "If you come across a file with a
> UUID, who produced it?"

I agree, that is an important question and needs to be addressed, but
UUID doesn't address it, nor was it intended to.

> This isn't quite the same as the unique locator use case in the
> paper, since the question isn't "which sources could provide me with
> an authentic copy of a particular kind of file?"  It's more along
> the line of "where did this fellow 'Bakak' come from?"

Sure, but without the identifier, you would still have the question
"where did this fellow come from?"  to which the response is "Who are
you talking about?"

The identifier at least allows you to refer to him by name..

Is your argument that we SHOULD have good metadata (I agree), or that
we SHOULD NOT assign UUIDs?

Curt