[Esip-preserve] On Earth Science Data File Uniqueness

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 9 11:50:58 EST 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Curt Tilmes wrote:

> On 02/09/11 10:14, Bruce Barkstrom wrote:
>> The question on my mind is sort of "If you come across a file with a
>> UUID, who produced it?"
>
> I agree, that is an important question and needs to be addressed, but
> UUID doesn't address it, nor was it intended to.

I thought UUID was designed to answer only the question:  are data items A and B bitwise-identical?

If they have the same UUID, then the answer is yes.  If they have different UUIDs, then the answer is that there is no evidence to say that they are bitwise identical.

Also, bitwise-identical implies scientific-content-identical.  However, !bitwise-identical does not imply !scientific-content-identical.
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185