[Esip-preserve] On Earth Science Data File Uniqueness

Ruth Duerr rduerr at nsidc.org
Wed Feb 9 14:58:20 EST 2011

Well this has been an interesting discussion today.  I've heard good compelling arguments for two competing best practices for using UUID's (Chris' use of a message digest form of UUID and Curt's pure Unique Identifier form of UUID).  Both seem to be variants on the Unique Identifier use case from the assessment paper with different implications for provenance (Chris's a Unique Identifier with trust value and Curt's a Unique Identifier with provenance value).  I also suspect that there are actually many more use case and use case variants than we've even heard about yet.  I think that this just reinforces one of the conclusions of the paper, that multiple identifiers will absolutely be required.

As for Bruce's question - if all I have is a Unique Identifier (and no Unique Locator) how do I find the file and all the rest of the information about it - that's always been a problem, one that Unique Identifiers by definition have nothing to say about.  In order to have received the file, someone somewhere must have had the Unique Locator - they should have passed that along either explicitly or within the metadata...  If they didn't, oh well.... maybe a Google search for the UUID will help or maybe you should go back and ask them for it.

Ruth