[Esip-preserve] Quality Assurance s another set of objects for Provenance information.

Al Fleig al.fleig at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:31:09 EST 2011

Today's Topics:

>   1. An Ancient Archeological Find in my Basement (Bruce Barkstrom)
>

> In looking through some past  Esip-Preserve messages I found the below

comment from Bruce B. about including calibration and validation data.

There is an extensive actrivity in Europe on this subject as indicated by

the meeting announcement pasted below.  The provenance trail for QA

information could be extensive.

*REVISED “SAVE THE DATE”:* *October 18 – 20, 2011***

*QA4EO Workshop on Providing Harmonised Quality Information in Earth
Observation Data by 2015***

The Quality Assurance for Earth Observation (QA4EO) Workshop on Providing
Quality Information in Harmonised Earth Observation Data by 2015 will be
held from 18 - 20 October 2011 at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) near
Oxford, UK.   **

The workshop will present and discuss data quality assurance implementation
examples across a wide variety of societal benefit areas.  In particular how
quality information is derived, maintained and presented following the QA4EO
principle that “all data and derived products must have associated with them
a Quality Indicator (QI) based on documented quantitative assessment of its
traceability to community agreed (ideally SI) absolute reference standards”.

Examples will be drawn from a broad cross-section of disciplines that span
from global modeling and systems of distributed sensors to local
environmental monitoring and small-scale field-based observations.  Best
practices within each community will be discussed with the ultimate aim of
addressing any existing gap(s) and necessary improvements to achieve the
implementation of QA4EO.

This event will establish a roadmap of key objectives by 2015 that will
cover technical, coordination and governance aspects of QA4EO.  Your active
participation in this very important workshop is critical to moving forward
with the Group on Earth Observation (GEO)’s vision for a Global Earth
Observation System of Systems (GEOSS).

Additional logistical information about the workshop will follow
shortly; *please
reserve the workshop dates in your calendar.*  If you have a contribution to
make to this event by way of a presentation or poster, please do not
hesitate to contact the workshop local organiser Dave Smith (
dave.smith at stfc.ac.uk) to register your interest.

Sincerely, *The GEO QA4EO Team*

*Marie-Claire Greening*

*Greening Consulting Limited*