[Esip-preserve] context, metadata, and provenance

James Frew frew at icess.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 5 15:20:33 EDT 2011

On 2011-04-05 09:56, Bruce Barkstrom wrote:
> In looking at the Wiki, I agree with Mark on the difference between
> provenance and context.  We need some concrete illustrations of
> the differences between them.  Also, in talking with Alice, she suggested
> that "metadata is data that leads to data" -- which I think might be a
> more useful definition than "data about data".

Metadata is the representation of context.

"Contextual metadata" is redundant: all metadata is context.

To distinguish between metadata and context *generally* is to
distinguish between context that we can represent and context that we
can't. This is a useful distinction when discussing (for example)
metadata standards.

To distinguish between *the* metadata and context of a *particular*
resource is not useful: the metadata is the only information we have
about the resource's context, and therefore *is* the context.

I.e. 99.44% of the time, metadata = context.

Provenance is a specific kind of context (and therefore a specific kind
of metadata) that describes how a resource was *derived*. From
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/XGR-prov-20101214/#Provenance_and_Metadata
:

"... metadata of a resource only becomes part of its provenance when one
also specifies its relationship to deriving the resource. For example, a
file can have a metadata property that states its size. But, this, is
not typically considered provenance information since it does not relate
to how the file was created. The same file can have metadata regarding
its creation date, which would be considered provenance-relevant
metadata. So even though a lot of metadata potentially has to do with
provenance, both terms are not equivalent. In summary, provenance is
often represented as metadata, but not all metadata is necessarily
provenance."

/Frew