[Esip-preserve] Citations guideline revisions

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Mon Jul 25 09:34:50 EDT 2011

Bob (and Mark) recently made a number of very good revisions to
the Citations provider guidelines:

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Interagency_Data_Stewardship/Citations/provider_guidelines

In particular, Bob added reference to ARKs and Handles in addition to
DOIs.  I think those additions are warranted and helpful in most
places, based on our discussions of ARKs and Handles.

One place I think we perhaps need some additional discussion is in the
"cluster recommendation" part:

Old:

The most broadly accepted locator in the scientific publishing world
is the Digital Object Identifier (DOI). The Cluster recommends the use
of DOIs to persistently locate full data sets or collections. Other
locators and identifiers may be more appropriate at the record level.

New:

The most broadly accepted locators in the scientific publishing world
are the Digital Object Identifier (DOI), the Archival Resource Key
(ARK), and Handles. The Cluster recommends the use of DOIs, ARKs, or
Handles to persistently locate full data sets or collections. Other
locators and identifiers may be more appropriate for locating
individual records or files.

Are we, as a cluster, now recommending DOIs, ARKs, or Handles equally?

Curt