[Esip-preserve] Citations guideline revisions

Ruth Duerr rduerr at nsidc.org
Mon Jul 25 12:14:10 EDT 2011

I am not convinced that DOIs, ARKs, and Handles can be recommended equally - I also don't understand why if we are adding identifiers to a list, PURLs, etc. have been left off, since if you are broadening the field to include other identifiers any of the URL-based locators could work.

Aside from that, I do think an argument can be made for DOIs and ARKs to be recommended more strongly than Handles.  The issue is that Thomson-Reuters is working with the DataCite folks to include both DOIs and ARKs in their citation indexes, Web of Knowledge, and Web of Science.  I haven't heard that any group is doing the same for Handles - does anyone have knowledge about other efforts to include identifiers in citation indexes?  I think having use of your data show up in citation indexes is important and I would hesitate to recommend any identifier that didn't get included.

Ruth