[Esip-preserve] Citations guideline revisions

Greg Janée gjanee at icess.ucsb.edu
Tue Jul 26 02:27:34 EDT 2011

The Handle and DOI systems support "multiple resolution" which can be
used for, among other things, describing the multiple locations at
which the object may be found.

I don't know how often this capability is used in practice, but
multiple resolution would seem to be a great help in thinking of an
identifier as identifying an abstract object (e.g., a version of a
dataset)  for which there may be varying numbers of copies in
existence at any given time.

Regarding Mark's comment, is it ever desirable for an object to have
more than one persistent identifier?  If it takes some amount of
awareness and responsibility and effort to maintain one identifier
over time, doesn't that burden get multipled N times if there are N
identifiers?  And then there's the diluting effect of having more than
one identifier, which causes confusion (which identifier should I
use?), plays havoc with citation counting and search system ranking,
etc.

-Greg