[Esip-preserve] Citations guideline revisions

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 08:27:37 EDT 2011

"Multiple resolution" is what's needed.  A particular archive can actually have
multiple copies of a file (one in "deep storage", another on tape, a
third on disk
for rapid access, and a fourth being staged for production).  More importantly,
data files with different formats can actually be scientifically
identical and stored
in different locations.  One example of replication of files to
different storage
locations is the NOAA CLASS archive which (last time I had checked) puts
duplicate copies in separate locations - and the NOAA data centers might
also choose to put copies in offsite locations as well.

Bruce B.