[Esip-preserve] FYI: my paper on equivalence

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Wed Sep 14 16:11:50 EDT 2011

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2011.04.057

Distinguishing Provenance Equivalence of Earth Science Data

Abstract

Reproducibility of scientific research relies on accurate and precise
citation of data and the provenance of that data. Earth science data are
often the result of applying complex data transformation and analysis
workflows to vast quantities of data. Provenance information of data
processing is used for a variety of purposes, including understanding
the process and auditing as well as reproducibility. Certain provenance
information is essential for producing scientifically equivalent data.
Capturing and representing that provenance information and assigning
identifiers suitable for precisely distinguishing data granules and
datasets is needed for accurate comparisons. This paper discusses
scientific equivalence and essential provenance for scientific
reproducibility. We use the example of an operational earth science data
processing system to illustrate the application of the technique of
cascading digital signatures or “hash chains” to precisely identify sets
of granules and as provenance equivalence identifiers to distinguish
data made in an an equivalent manner.