[Esip-preserve] Fwd: Geoscience Data Journal

Neal Kaske neal.kaske at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 6 07:40:20 EST 2012

Ken, Chris and others
    You may want to ask if they would permit a federal agency hosting the
data for a paper written by a federal employee. The the data could be made
part of a data center or an institutional repository and be retained on a
permanent basis. Just a suggestion.
Neal

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Bruce Barkstrom <brbarkstrom at gmail.com>wrote:

> They're probably just hoping to expand the number
> of recipients of government funding.  Of course, they
> might welcome the chance to become lobbyists.
>
> Bruce B.
>
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Kenneth Casey <Kenneth.Casey at noaa.gov>
> wrote:
> > I hadn't noticed that and have no idea if they would relax that.  Do
> they have any idea what they are getting into??
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > --
> > Kenneth S. Casey, Ph.D.
> > Technical Director
> > NOAA National Oceanographic Data Center
> > 1315 East-West Highway
> > Silver Spring MD 20910
> > 301-713-3272 x133
> > http://www.nodc.noaa.gov
> >
> > On Feb 2, 2012, at 6:13 PM, "Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)" <
> christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov> wrote:

> Board of something called Datasets Papers in Atmospheric Sciences. I don't
> think that is any sort of exclusive invitation since they seem to be trying
> to have a large number of people on this board, so many of you may have
> also received this invitation. I will copy and paste all the info below,
> but here is the link to the journal page:
> http://www.datasets.com/journals/as/ It is open access, costs $300 to
> publish a paper, and is supposed to have a 4 week turn around time.

> >> At first glance this looked really attractive to us, until we got to
> the statement "In addition to publishing Dataset Papers, Datasets
> International hosts the underlying data that is associated with these
> papers..."  Took a little of the shine off for us.  Any chance of relaxing
> that, do you think?
> >> --
> >> Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185

Neal K. Kaske, Ph.D.
Director, NOAA Central &  Regional Libraries
1315 East-West Highway
SSMC-3, 2nd Floor, E/OC4
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Neal.Kaske at noaa.gov
Voice 301.713.2600 ext. 139
Fax 301.713.4599
www.lib.noaa.gov
Five minutes with a reference librarian can often save you an hour of Web
surfing.
The opinions expressed in this email do not necessarily reflect the views
of the U.S. Government.