[Esip-preserve] DataCite to require "landing pages"

Kenneth S. Casey kenneth.casey at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 29 15:06:58 EST 2012

Jeff,

On Feb 29, 2012, at 1:57 PM, Dr.Jeff de La Beaujardiere wrote:

> Can an ISO 19139 (XML) metadata record serve as a landing page?
> If not, what about HTML produced from the XML using a stylesheet?

Sure... that is basically what a lot of portal systems do right now, with ISO or FGDC.  We in fact fought the battle with data.gov to get them to allow us to have their "one-click to data" policy mean "one-click to the landing page", since pointing a user directly to a binary data file is a completely stupid thing to do. Without the metadata, the user has no idea what they are being "one-clicked" to.  Even if it is a well-structued netCDF with lots of internal metadata it is not generally a good idea.

Ken