[Esip-preserve] Linked Data

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 11:47:43 EST 2012

I did take a look at the Wikipedia article on "Linked Data".

I think the challenge of incorporating this "paradigm" into
a scientific data environment is to show how the additional
metadata contributes to scientific work.  It seems to me
that scientific analysis (or even synthesis) operates with
functions (or "objects" if you want more generality).  Thus,
one might have "metadata" (or "metaverbs") that provides
instructions on what to do with the data to produce a
particular result.  However, once the functions have
produced their result, why does that work need to be
redone - as long as the result is stored someplace?