[Esip-preserve] [esip-semanticweb] Identifiers for people?

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 8 10:29:53 EST 2012

On 03/08/2012 09:16 AM, Nancy Hoebelheinrich wrote:
> Adding to what Matt has suggested here, the Library of Congress does make
> its Name Authority File (NAF) available for semantic web use at this
> website:  http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names.html .  There are about 8
> million  names of people and organizations in that database, gathered over
> many decades, mostly from published books, of course, but other kinds of
> published materials as well.  Not many libraries have been able to afford
> cataloging of journals, so there would be fewer journal authors, certainly,
> but still might be a very rich resource to use not only for materials
> published in English, but for other languages too.    LC has made the NAF
> URIs available in a number of forms that would work for the Semantic Web
> including     RDF/XML,  N-Triples,   and JSON.

Interesting.  How easy/difficult would it be for me to add every
person associated with our domain (all the people associated with all
stuff listed in the PCCS -- paper authors, intrument teams, science
teams, contacts for data centers, etc.) into the LOC NAF?

Looking at person "http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n94112934"
they even cite some sources:
http://www.loc.gov/mads/rdf/v1#citation-source "Wikipedia, July 21, 2008"

<grin>