[Esip-preserve] [esip-semanticweb] Identifiers for people?

Curt Tilmes Curt.Tilmes at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 9 12:42:10 EST 2012

On 03/07/2012 01:56 PM, Sky Bristol wrote:
> One of the biggest challenges we are having in a government world
> that we still haven't resolved to satisfaction is dealing with
> Privacy Act concerns. There's all kinds of things that come into
> play when a government agency starts aggregating information on
> people, even when many of them work for us. In that respect, doing
> this under the auspices of DataONE would be a little smoother. :-)

Considering the controversial nature of certain parts of this domain,
even making contact information available could be a concern:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/03/michael-mann-climate-change-deniers

   Death threats, intimidation and abuse: climate change scientist
   Michael E. Mann counts the cost of honesty

   Research by Michael E. Mann confirmed the reality of global
   warming. Little did he know that it would also expose him to a vicious
   hate campaign

I would hate to contribute to the "chilling effect" on researchers.

--
Curt Tilmes, Ph.D.
U.S. Global Change Research Program

+1 202-419-3479 (office)