[Esip-preserve] DOI landing pages

Mark A. Parsons parsonsm at nsidc.org
Tue Aug 21 16:40:36 EDT 2012

Curt,

I don't know if this is relevant, but here is how NSIDC currently handles this.

Every data set has a landing page (though only a few have DOIs so far). Here is an example: http://nsidc.org/data/nsidc-0176.html

From that landing page you can click on "view metadata record" which leads you to a variety of different metadata formats including ISO in html and XML. Here is the ISO XML link for the data set above: http://nsidc.org/cgi-bin/get_metadata.pl?id=NSIDC-0176&format=ISO&style=XML
We don't have good provenance info in the ISO, unfortunately.

Our DOIs point to the human readable landing page. It would be nice if the identifier knew what was asking, so it could point machines to the XML. I think that is part of the intent with "inflections" in ARKs.

Cheers,

-m.