[Esip-preserve] How to cite the works of the committee

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:24:55 EDT 2012

Mark's URL is correct for citing the CACM article.

While Jeff may have a limited vision on the issue, if you're interested
in the connections between economics, citation indexes, and citations,
you may find some interesting material by exploring a Google search
on the topic

Economics of scholarly electronic publication

It looks like there's a nice concise summary of some material on this
in what I believe is a 2010 Web reference

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/Collections/crisis.htmlhttp://www.lib.berkeley.edu/Collections/crisis.html

The original reference that I think still has some bite is from the
Association
of Research Libraries in 2001 (I incorrectly remembered this as appearing in
DLIB, but the ARL reference is correct.  I think you can get this free):

http://www.arl.org/resources/pubs/mmproceedings/138guedon.shtml

One question that may be of interest is the economic return on investment
(ROI) for both the time data producers and archives have to put in on
building and
maintaining citations and both the impact on research and the economics
of the time researchers or other data users spend or save as a result of
having citations.  My impression is that this "hard-nosed" approach hasn't
been dealt with - although my research is still quite fragmentary and
incomplete.
In this case the basic question is - apart from a high-minded appeal for
making
sure scientists SHOULD provide scholarly citations, how much or our research
budget should be invested in this area because there is a real savings in
people's time and effort.  [And no - I'm not a Republican!]

Jeff doesn't have to do any searching or read anything I've suggested.

Bruce B.