[Esip-preserve] Article on Author Order in the Newest CACM

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 12:35:40 EDT 2012

There's an interesting "Viewpoint" article in the CACM that
arrived today:

Marcos, E., Vara, J. M., and de Castro, V., 2012:
Author Order: What Science Can Learn from the Arts,
CACM, 15(9), 39-61

Our recent brush with this was adding some contributor
roles (Editor as I recall) to one of our citations.  The article suggests
thinking about moving toward the type of role attribution
used in movies.  Don't know what to do with the 3,000
authors on the papers for the Higgs Boson discovery,
though (anybody want to be in the "et al" category?).

Bruce b.