[Esip-preserve] Review of Book on Networked Science in the New Physics Today

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 10:52:17 EDT 2012

The Sept. 2012 issue of Physics Today has a review
of "Reinventing Discovery: The New Era of Networked
Science" by Nielsen, M. and published by Princeton U.
Press.  The review is on pp. 53 and 54.  It was authored
by Vogt, T.

It appears that the book advances the notion that
networked collaborations of professionals and nonprofessionals
will create a revolution in our approach to scientific discovery.
The reviewer is skeptical of that claim: "However, the author's
claim that networked science will redefine the relationship
between science and society is an unsubstantiated
exaggeration." [p. 54]  The reviewer does have comments
on the role of individuals in academic communities that
may have some bearing on our discussion of citations.