[Esip-preserve] Fwd: Copernicus News: Helmholtz, CLOCKSS, and OpenAIRE

Ruth Duerr rduerr at nsidc.org
Tue Sep 25 17:22:56 EDT 2012

Yes, LOCKSS and CLOCKSS do have relevance to the preservation group since they have technologies that automatically and securely replicate data (in their case usually publications, though also web sites and there are sites that replicate science data) to multiple highly distributed sites and then periodically validate that the contents of any one site have not been compromised.  If errors are found the data is automatically recovered.  They have interesting voting algorithms for determining "who is right" about the content of a file and many practical lessons learned and interesting ways of dealing with ownership, security, access rights, etc.  LOCKSS networks can be either private or public.  If public then they can be self-organizing in a peer-to-peer way.

I just looked to see if the presentations from the 2009 Santa Barbara ESIP meeting are on the wiki and am sad to say that they aren't, though I remember capturing and linking all those materials...

Ruth