[Esip-preserve] Adding learning resource metadata to Data Management training modules

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 17:07:37 EST 2014

>From my standpoint, both Justin and Nancy have useful revisions.

For Nancy, yes, I'm interested in demographics primarily.  The "Did you
find this module useful?" is simple enough.
One formatting idea that might simplify analyzing the responses would be to
see if there are a FEW categories
of reasons why or why not.  Use the narrative response only if you like
grading essay exams and if somebody
has enough time to do the grading.

While I don't have an empirical basis for an inclination about narrative
down the user's responses.  (Maybe this comes out of those prying requests
Amazon makes for reviews after
you've bought some things.  In my case, the most recent purchase was pipe
clamps. I didn't feel like writing one of my
review paragraphs on the best qualities of the pipe clamps I'd received -
and why they were or weren't better
than other kinds I'd gotten at a hardware store.  Of course, the management
course isn't exactly like pipe clamps.)

Perhaps it might be appropriate to regard the initial survey as an
experiment.  Run it for a month, have an e-mail/telecon
session about what we learned and how we could improve it - and then write
an improved survey.  Additionally,
estimate how long it will take a respondent to fill in the survey.  Make
sure it will be something that's
worth their time.  Less than a minute probably won't decrease the response
rate.  Anything that might take a
half an hour or longer will almost certainly decrease it.

Bruce B.