[Esip-preserve] Fwd: ISO/TC 211: preservation

Wolfgang Kresse via Esip-preserve esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org
Thu Jul 17 13:24:43 EDT 2014

Bruce and Ted,

I thank you for the comments that help to understand our own (ISO's)
position and allow a more sensitive definition of the scope.

ISO/TC 211 claims to be responsible for all geospatial data. Therefore,
it is helpful to know about difficult terrain such as meteorology and
oceanography that may not be covered by the intended standard.

The vertical component as done in the ISO 19111 presently gets some
refinement by a new project about NTv2.

The links to glossaries are very welcome.

The term resolution may require a general discussion within the ISO/TC 211.

Algorithms and ancillary data will be added to the WD in an appropriate way.

Again, many thanks!

Ted, how should we formalize the flow of information between ESIP and
ISO in the future?

With best regards
Wolfgang

Am 16.07.2014 16:31, schrieb Bruce Barkstrom:
> Some care will be needed in creating a standard for all geospatial
> data.  Here are a few caveats:
>
> 1.  Vertical coordinates are not simple.  See
> <http://mtp.mjmahoney.net/www/notes/altitude/altitude.html>
> which treats both the relationship between geometric altitude (usually
> abbreviated z) and geopotential
> altitude (Greek Phi) and the dependence of various formulae on the shape
> of the Earth.  While lidars
> and radars use time-of-flight to get fairly direct geometric altitudes,
> radiosondes and passive IR sensors
> reduce data to geopotential.  The important point is that to convert
> from geometric altitude to geopotential
> for a particular vertical profile, the data source needs to record the
> temperature and humidity profile (meaning
> values of temperature and humidity as a function of barometric pressure).
>
> Meteorologists and atmospheric scientists use geopotential in their
> forecasting models because
> winds would flow along geopotential surfaces without changing potential
> energy.
>
> For oceanic fields, the relevant ancillary vertical profiles are
> temperature and salinity.  In addition, oceanic models
> (such as the one that MIT has) can use sigma coordinates for the
> vertical.  Sigma normalizes the pressure
> fields so that this variable is 1 at the bottom of the column and 0 at
> the top.  To convert to geopotential
> or depth in the ocean, the data need to have the pressure at the bottom
> of the column, an additional
> piece of data to include.
>
> Of course, if the primary interest is in just the solid surface of the
> Earth, this may not be a problem
> as long as the interested parties want geometric altitude.  However,
> hydrologists will need geopotential
> because water can naturally flow "uphill" if the geopotential is lower
> further from the Earth's center.
> GPS data does not give geopotential, so some care in documentation of
> coordinates is in order.
>
> 2.  It would seem to be sensible to consult standard glossaries for
> terms before finalizing the data
> dictionary.  For example, NOAA's National Weather Service has an on-line
> glossary at <http://w1.weather.gov/glossary/>
> The American Meteorological Society has another at
> <http://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Main_Page>.
> The World Meteorological Organization also maintains an on-line glossary
> that appears to be a bit
> fancier: <http://wmo.multicorpora.net/MultiTransWeb/Web.mvc>.  If you
> just try a Google search
> for WMO Glossary, the first URL gives a list of organizations.
>
> 3.  In dealing with basic data sources, it would be helpful to remember
> that instruments and platforms
> are not standardized.  Some instruments, such as radiosondes, are mass
> produced.  In this
> case, the vendor usually supplies manuals with operation and calibration
> procedures as well as algorithms.
> [...]

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kresse
Neubrandenburg University of Applied Sciences
Faculty of Landscape Sciences and Geomatics
Brodaer Strasse 2
17033 Neubrandenburg
Germany

Tel.  +49 (0) 395 5693 4106