[Esip-preserve] Provenane Use Case tool

Parsons, Mark via Esip-preserve esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org
Wed Jul 23 11:40:34 EDT 2014

Of possible inbterest…
cheers,

-m.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Research Data Provenance <rda-researchdataprov-ig+no-reply at rda-groups.org<mailto:rda-researchdataprov-ig+no-reply at rda-groups.org>>
Subject: [rda-researchdataprov-ig] Digest for Research Data Provenance - 1 message in 1 discussion
Date: July 23, 2014 at 9:13:05 AM MDT
To: Research Data Provenance <rda-researchdataprov-ig at rda-groups.org<mailto:rda-researchdataprov-ig at rda-groups.org>>

Group: https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/research-data-provenance.html

  *   Provenance Use Case capture tool<x-msg://67/#digest-44679> (1 new)

________________________________
Discussion: Provenance Use Case capture tool<https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/research-data-provenance/post/provenance-use-case-capture-tool.html>
nicholas.car at csiro.au<https://www.rd-alliance.org/users/nicholascarcsiroau> nicholas.car at csiro.au<mailto:nicholas.car at csiro.au> Wed, 23/07/2014 - 13:06

Hi all,

The Australian contingent of this IG has set up a Provenance Use Case capture tool and invite you to contribute Use Cases related to provenance. The collection of Use Cases will be used to inform this and other IG's actions. We need to simply write up some lists in order to know the breadth of the field we are considering.

The tool:

* is a small website online at http://promsns.org/uc/
* is open to anyone - so far I've invited this group and the Australian Prov IG to contribute but anyone is welcome
* is based on a generic UC template that has previously be used for Semantic Web work
* uses distributed system categorisation to group UCs
* lists the 'granularity' of UCs
* is a stably named, linked-data website to that the URLs for UCs, such as http://promsns.org/uc/usecases/20 may be used as persistent identifiers for referring to them
* is very basic. Please be gently with your criticisms! I will be adding functionality where and when required. Some coming functionality will be:
- searching and browsing (when we have lots of cases)
- listing of cases attributes such as Granularities/Actors etc.
- export to PDF using the RPI UC template (see below References)
- extension of the Granularities field as required

References for categorisation and granularities are given on the References page: http://promsns.org/uc/references

I hope to list a range of UCs across the spectrum of provenance work. I will be updating the tool based on feedback from use. Please send any constructive criticism to me at nicholas.car at csiro.au<mailto:nicholas.car at csiro.au>.

Initially, I think we can assume ownership/copyright of UCs belongs to the Contributor but that there's an understanding that, since collection here is to assist the RDA and other provenance initiatives, that Creative Commons-style attribution licenses apply for fair use in this pursuit.

Enjoy!

Nick
Nicholas Car
Research Projects Officer