[Esip-preserve] An Interesting Library Concept - The Accumulibrary

Matthew Mayernik via Esip-preserve esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org
Thu Jul 31 12:42:00 EDT 2014

Thanks Bruce. Definitely an interesting concept. Coming from the library
world, I feel obligated to comment. It seems like this approach tries to do
what libraries do, but deliberately eliminates the efficiencies for the
patrons that libraries provide. The obvious one is that classification
enables browsing by subject (though all classifications are partial,
faulty, etc.). Also, consistent shelving and ordering allows repeat
visitors (which you hope you have many) to learn the collection structure
over time, again hopefully allowing them to make better/fuller use of the
collection.

"Algorithm-based" paths through the collection is a nice feature in this
system, but it's not clear to me how it's an advantage over having a set of
classification numbers in a library that a) you already know, or b)
provides clear labeling on their collection.

Finally, some libraries already use barcode-based retrieval systems with
sequential (e.g. non-subject based) ordering. And any high-density storage
facility does this, storing materials by size so that shelves can be packed
as closely together as possible. These typically aren't open for browsing,
but again if the goal is to help patrons to make the best and most
efficient use of the collection, this scheme certainly isn't the way to go
if you want browsing.

So, definitely interesting as a concept library, but the advantages over
the current state aren't quite clear to me.

Matt