[Esip-preserve] An Interesting Library Concept - The Accumulibrary

Bruce Barkstrom via Esip-preserve esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org
Thu Jul 31 13:28:24 EDT 2014

Thanks for your comments.

I agree with your perceptions.  I had to renew my AGU membership this
morning and I much preferred avoiding a Web page maze or an automated
phone maze.  I waited until I could have a "reference interview" with a real
person.  I think I didn't waste time in a maze and satisfactorily completed
the transaction in just a few minutes with little frustration.  The
conversation
with a real person allowed me to correct errors before they got embedded
in the system.  The abstract submission process is highly routinised.
To submit my abstract I was able to move through the process step by step
using
just the web pages.  I did have to backtrack to reduce the number of
characters in the submission.  It wasn't a one-size-fits all choice.
Rather it
was a choice of the most efficient method of conducting a particular kind
of business.  The membership renewal was more complex for me than the
abstract submission.

The search problem is different for unique items like ideas in a paper than
it
is for highly structured Earth science data collections.  There are a
number of
large data collections with such structure.  Examples include NOAA's
Emergency
Response Imagery Collection, various rock core archives, and data from a
number of NASA satellite collections.  The latter include those from the
Earth
Radiation Budget Experiment [ERBE] and the investigation of Clouds and the
Earth's Radiant Energy System [CERES] with which I was involved as the
PI creating the collection architecture.  These collections typically
include
tens of thousands to millions of individual data and documentation files.
There is a hierarchical classification used to manage data production
and data access to the collections.  I think that a large fraction of
professional
researchers would find it easier to navigate through the hierarchy based on
a sequence of choices from the local nodes in the hierarchy rather than
evaluating items in a list from a huge query results set.  It may be
difficult for
researchers to trust heuristic search algorithms with a non-transparent
structure,
particularly given the scaling issues that appear with these large
collections.

The public and K-12 populations also have different  keyword vocabularies
than researchers do.  Those differences introduce additional difficulties
in
creating algorithms to serve all users with the same vocabularies or
ontologies.

Bruce B.