[Esip-preserve] Article on physical data preservation

Kerstin A Lehnert lehnert at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue May 19 14:40:41 EDT 2015

Adding to Sarah's mail mre shameless promotion:

The volume of GeoResJ, in which Sarah's article was published is a
special issue on 'Rescuing Legacy Data for Future Science' with many
other articles that demonstrate the value of legacy data and highlight
methods and approaches to rescuing these data in a way that makes them
discoverable and re-usable.

Kerstin

On 5/19/15 13:55 PM, Ramdeen, Sarah via Esip-preserve wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Sorry I missed the call yesterday.  I was traveling.  I look forward
> to reviewing the notes.  In the meantime, I wanted to share something
> with you all.  An article of mine which was just published.  Excuse
> the shameless promotion – it is my first solo authored peer reviewed
> piece, and it is on my dissertation topic.  SO I am very excited about
> it.  I have had help on it from a few ESIP folks and I thought you all
> might be interested.
>
> Thanks!
> Sarah
>
> Preservation challenges for geological data at state geological surveys
>
> http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1R33L7tTUKRpxx
>
> GeoResJ
>
> Volume 6, June 2015, Pages 213–220
>
> Rescuing Legacy Data for Future Science
>
> Abstract
>
> State geological surveys are home to legacy geological data that holds
> value in the present. Early legislation of geological surveys often
> included requirements that state surveys have a museum or cabinet to
> house their physical collections. These collections currently include
> data such as cores, cuttings, thin sections and fossils. State
> geological surveys maintain these collections to support scientific
> research that has value to those in government, industry, academia and
> the public. Survey collections and other similar science data
> collections, are in danger of being lost due to various risks such as
> poor curation, few access points, lack of funding, and space
> considerations. Efforts to preserve these collections have increased,
> beginning with a National Research Council report in 2002 highlighting
> this plight, and the founding of the National Geological and
> Geophysical Data Preservation Program by the United States Geological
> Survey (USGS) in 2005. Currently, programs like EarthCube address this
> problem by focusing on cyberinfrastructure needs that will ease
> discovery and access to specimen datasets. Even with these efforts,
> there is still much work to be done.
>
> Increasing preservation and ease of access requires training in data
> curation and preservation as well as a better understanding of the
> users of geological data. This paper will introduce geological
> collections, provide examples of preservation challenges surrounding
> these types of collections, and suggest future research directions.
> This includes collaborations with library and information scientists,
> archivists, museums curators, as well as cross training of domain
> scientists. Future management systems for these collections should
> provide increased discovery and access to geological data.
>
> Sarah Ramdeen Doctoral Candidate
>
> School of Information and Library Science
>
> University of North Carolina
>
> ramdeen at email.unc.edu <mailto:ramdeen at email.unc.edu>
>
> http://ramdeen.web.unc.edu/

Dr. Kerstin Lehnert
Director, Integrated Earth Data Applications
Director, EarthChem
President, IGSN e.V.

Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
Columbia University