[Esip-preserve] Article on physical data preservation

Justin Goldstein jgoldstein at usgcrp.gov
Tue May 19 15:05:04 EDT 2015

Congrats to all who've published in this issue.  Sarah, you'll always
remember your first solo-authored article so ne sure to enjoy and celebrate.

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 2:40 PM, Kerstin A Lehnert via Esip-preserve <
esip-preserve at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

>  Adding to Sarah's mail mre shameless promotion:
>
> The volume of GeoResJ, in which Sarah's article was published is a special
> issue on 'Rescuing Legacy Data for Future Science' with many other articles
> that demonstrate the value of legacy data and highlight methods and
> approaches to rescuing these data in a way that makes them discoverable and
> re-usable.
>
> Kerstin
>

> On 5/19/15 13:55 PM, Ramdeen, Sarah via Esip-preserve wrote:
>
>  Hello Everyone,
>

> Sorry I missed the call yesterday.  I was traveling.  I look forward to
> reviewing the notes.  In the meantime, I wanted to share something with you
> all.  An article of mine which was just published.  Excuse the shameless
> promotion – it is my first solo authored peer reviewed piece, and it is on
> my dissertation topic.  SO I am very excited about it.  I have had help on
> it from a few ESIP folks and I thought you all might be interested.
>

> Thanks!
> Sarah
>

> Preservation challenges for geological data at state geological surveys
>
> http://authors.elsevier.com/a/1R33L7tTUKRpxx
>
> GeoResJ
>
> Volume 6, June 2015, Pages 213–220
>
> Rescuing Legacy Data for Future Science
>

> Abstract
>
> State geological surveys are home to legacy geological data that holds
> value in the present. Early legislation of geological surveys often
> included requirements that state surveys have a museum or cabinet to house
> their physical collections. These collections currently include data such
> as cores, cuttings, thin sections and fossils. State geological surveys
> maintain these collections to support scientific research that has value to
> those in government, industry, academia and the public. Survey collections
> and other similar science data collections, are in danger of being lost due
> to various risks such as poor curation, few access points, lack of funding,
> and space considerations. Efforts to preserve these collections have
> increased, beginning with a National Research Council report in 2002
> highlighting this plight, and the founding of the National Geological and
> Geophysical Data Preservation Program by the United States Geological
> Survey (USGS) in 2005. Currently, programs like EarthCube address this
> problem by focusing on cyberinfrastructure needs that will ease discovery
> and access to specimen datasets. Even with these efforts, there is still
> much work to be done.
>

> Increasing preservation and ease of access requires training in data
> curation and preservation as well as a better understanding of the users of
> geological data. This paper will introduce geological collections, provide
> examples of preservation challenges surrounding these types of collections,
> and suggest future research directions. This includes collaborations with
> [...]

Justin Goldstein, Ph.D.
Advance Science Climate Data and Observing Systems Coordinator
US Global Change Research Program
1717 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Suite #250
Washington, DC 20006

O: (202) 419-3496