[Esip-preserve] data reference vs. citation

Matthew Mayernik mayernik at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 30 15:25:11 EDT 2016

Hi all,
This recent Nature article is an interesting case for data citation. Toward
the end of the paper, all of the datasets are described in the methods
section, in a subsection called "Data", with citations given to published
papers about the datasets. Below that, there is a "Data and Code
availability" section, which gives URLs to all of the data & software
resources relevant to the paper. They don't give any DOIs for the
data/software, though I don't know if any of these resources have DOIs.

This is both a) a great case of being transparent in linking to the
underlying data & code, and b) a great case of how data citations should
not be done (at least according to our usual recommendations of putting
them in the reference list instead of the text or acknowledgements, using
DOIs, etc.).

Long-lead predictions of eastern United States hot days from Pacific sea
surface temperatures
K. A. McKinnon, A. Rhines, M. P. Tingley & P. Huybers
Nature Geoscience, (2016)
http://doi.org/10.1038/ngeo2687

It seems like a good exhibit in how these things are evolving in a positive
direction, if on a winding road,

Matt