[Esip-preserve] data reference vs. citation

Matthew Mayernik mayernik at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 30 18:38:13 EDT 2016

Apologies to folks blocked by Nature's paywall. Here's are the two relevant
sections of which I was referring. All of the numbered references in the
"Data" section are to journal articles.

Data.

Summer temperature observations are daily maxima from the Global Historical
Climatology Network-Daily database (GHCND; ref. 14
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2687.html#ref14>).
We rely on weather station observations of near-surface daily maximum air
temperature14
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2687.html#ref14>,
as opposed to reanalyses that infer near-surface conditions34
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2687.html#ref34>
without necessarily ingesting station data35
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2687.html#ref35>.

The analysis is confined to the 60 warmest days of summer based on the
average climatology across US weather stations (24 June–22 August on a
non-leap year, and 23 June–21 August on a leap year). These
climatologically warmest days of summer are when further warming may be
expected to have the greatest implications for health and crops. Records
from individual weather stations are included only if they have at least
80% coverage during June, July and August for at least 80% of the years
considered in the analysis. There are 1613 stations in the eastern US that
fulfil these requirements for the 1982–2015 period, and 1092 for the longer
1950–2015 period. Changing the data coverage requirement to focus
specifically on the 60 hottest days of summer has essentially no effect on
the results, because >99.5% of the stations that pass the coverage
requirement for June, July and August also pass the requirement for peak
summer.

Daily SST data are from the NOAA OI SST2 data set36
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2687.html#ref36>,
which is available at daily resolution beginning in September 1981. SST
data are re-gridded from 1/4° to 1° spatial resolution. Daily geopotential
height and wind fields beginning in 1979 are from the NCEP-DOE II reanalysis
37
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2687.html#ref37>
at 2.5° resolution. Atmosphere–ocean fluxes from 1985 to 2009 are from the
OAFlux project38
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2687.html#ref38>
at 1° resolution. Monthly SST data are from the 5° resolution HadSST3 data
set21
<http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2687.html#ref21>,
which uses only *in-situ* measurements from ships and buoys. All analyses
are in terms of anomalies that are calculated by removing the first three
annual harmonics, and then removing a linear trend.

Data and code availability.

All data used in the analysis are publicly available. NCEP-DOE II
reanalysis fields for geopotential height and 10-m zonal and meridional
winds are available at
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.ncep.reanalysis2.html. Daily
SST data from NOAA OI SST V2 are available at
ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Datasets/noaa.oisst.v2.highres. Monthly SST data
from HadSST3, version 3.1.1.0 are available at
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadsst3/data/download.html.
Ocean–atmosphere heat flux data from the WHOI OAFlux Project are available
at http://oaflux.whoi.edu/heatflux.html. Precipitation data from the CPC
Unified Gauge-Based Analysis of Daily Precipitation are available at
http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/gridded/data.unified.daily.conus.html.
Daily temperature data are from the Global Historical Climatology
Network-Daily database, available from
http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/ghcn/daily.

Monthly values for the Pacific North America pattern, North Atlantic
Oscillation, and El Niño–Southern Oscillation indices are from the Climate
Prediction Center, and are available at
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.pna.monthly.b5001.current.ascii,
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.nao.monthly.b5001.current.ascii,
and http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/sstoi.indices, respectively.
Monthly values for the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and Northern Annular
Mode indices are from the Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere
and Ocean, and are available at http://jisao.washington.edu/pdo/PDO.latest
and http://research.jisao.washington.edu/analyses0302/#data, respectively.

See https://github.com/karenamckinnon/PEP.git for code and formatted
data that allow for reproduction of the results depicted in the main text
figures.