[Esip-sciencesoftware] Science Software Telecon Wed 17 April Noon Eastern

Jim Bowring bowringj at cofc.edu
Sun Apr 15 07:32:34 EDT 2018

Hi All -

Our speaker will be Rick Allmendinger.

https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/906359501 You can also dial in using your
phone. United States: +1 (646) 749-3131 Access Code: 906-359-501

Brief Bio:

Rick Allmendinger is a structural geologist with more than 30 years as a
professor of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences at Cornell University and several
years mapping with the US Geological Survey. He received his A.B. degree
from Cornell University in 1975 and his Ph.D. from Stanford University in
1979. Most of his field work has focused on the tectonics of convergent
plate boundaries, initially in the western United States and for the last
several decades the Andes Mountains and forearc of the Nazca-South America
plate boundary. He is the author of one textbook, 129 publications, and
several widely used computer programs and has an h factor between 41 (ISI)
and 59 (Google Scholar). His free online structural geology lab manual has
been downloaded more than 9,500 times. He received the GSA Structure and
Tectonics career contribution award in 2012. Allmendinger served for four
years as the Associate Dean of Engineering for diversity, faculty
development, and mentoring at Cornell. During that time, he ran the junior
faculty mentoring program, managed all of the tenure and promotion cases in
the college (~70 cases), and oversaw the Diversity Programs in Engineering
(DPE). In 2011 while Allmendinger was associate dean, DPE received the
Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering
Mentoring (PAESMEM) and was greeted by President Obama at the White House
to receive the award.

Abstract: Adventures of a Field Geologist in Academic Software Development

As someone whose professional career coincided with the dawn of the age of
desktop computers to the dawn of the age of mobile devices, I've had to
write most of my own software for the research that I wanted to do. While
developing the algorithms and the software was a necessity, making it
pretty and easy to use has been something of a hobby akin to woodworking,
which I also enjoy. I discovered early on that, if the software is easy to
use and has a nice interface, one is likely to spend more time in the
program probing a broader parameter space and asking "what if" questions.
Allof my programs were developed initially for my own use but some have
become quite popular as they have been released for free on my web page.
The most popular, Stereonet, is a program for producing stereographic
projections that structural geologists love so much. This program has been
in nearly continuous development for the last 33 years and is currently
available for Macintosh, Windows, and Linux platforms. My web page for
downloads gets ~30,000 hits per year and is is used not only by structural
geologists, but also geophysicists, mineralogists, sedimentologists, and
even archeologists who use it to plot and analyze the alignment of
artifacts. I have several other major programs that have thousands of
downloads per year as well as several popular utility programs to enable
things like latitude-longitude to UTM conversions. In the last year, I have
been exploring the versatility of sensors on smart phones and tablets for
collecting data in the field and have now have three apps published in the
iOS App Store. Both desktop and mobile versions of Stereonet can act as a
lightweight upload client for the StraboSpot database. The field geologist
can use the device orientation on the outcrop to measure the location and
attitude in space of geologic features and then upload their data to
StraboSpot whenever they have a cellular data connection.

This talk will focus on my development process, lessons learned (i.e.,
mistakes made) and thoughts and concerns about the future of academic
software development.

Cheers, Jim

--
Jim Bowring
President Elect and Public Relations Officer of the College of Charleston

Computer Science
College of Charleston
66 George Street
Charleston, SC 29424

Google Voice: 843.608.1399 (preferred)
Google Email: bowring at gmail.com

Office:
Harbor Walk East (360 Concord Street) Room 308
843.953.0805
http://stono.cs.cofc.edu/~bowring/
bowringj at cofc.edu

R. Buckminster Fuller (1972):
If humanity is to survive aboard our planet, it must become universally
literate and preoccupied with inherently cooperative Comprehensive
Anticipatory Design Science in which every human is concerned with
accomplishing the comfortably sustainable well-faring of all other humans.