[esip-semanticweb] Talk & demo in SemWeb TIWG telecon Thursday at 4 PM EST

Wilson, Brian D (335G) bdwilson at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 12 15:27:24 EDT 2011

Folks,

Eric Rozell will be giving a talk & demo of two semantic web projects
he is working on.  The info. for the telecon and his abstracts follow.

There will also be a WebEx setup which will follow in another email.

Talk to you tomorrow.

 -- Brian

Start Time: 4:00 PM Eastern, 1:00 PM Pacific

Dial-in number: 877-615-1167
User Passcode:  7306759
*6 = Mute/Unmute

We also plan to have WebEx web meeting available for the demos. Details
to follow.

>From Eric...

The first part of the talk will discuss the use of OpenSearch within
S2S.  It will cover details about the abstract data service ontology
used by S2S, and how these abstractions/semantics have been embedded in
OpenSearch description documents.  I will also go into some detail about
the extension of the ontology and framework to other service protocols,
including SAWSDL.  Lastly, I'll demo some of the faceted browsers we've
built using S2S, including an interface to the Biological and Chemical
Oceanographic Data Management Office and an interface for an
International Open Government Data Catalog, with more than 400,000 datasets.

The second part of the talk will discuss the progress Tom Narock and I
have made on our ESIP FUNding Friday project.  We proposed a project to
convert abstract publications from past AGU Earth and Space Science
Informatics meetings to linked data, and perform some text mining on
those abstracts to link them to identifiers in the Linked Data cloud,
including DBPedia identifiers.  I'll discuss the techniques were using
to convert the data, the tools used for mining the abstracts, and our
methods for publishing linked data.  Lastly, I'll give a quick demo of a
mobile web browser that we are developing for viewing AGU abstracts and
navigating the connections in the ESIP/ESSI network.