[esip-semanticweb] posted initial version of ToolMatch data model

Eric Rozell rozele at rpi.edu
Thu Mar 1 18:21:20 EST 2012

On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:11 PM, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Eric Rozell wrote:
>
>> The SPARQL would be really simple assuming we use some level of OWL 2 reasoning.  I think the use case should extend beyond "data accessibility" to include any attribute of a dataset.  There are probably some "explanation" tools out there that could handle all of these use cases.   In your example:
>>
>> SPARQL query for what tools can draw a map of a dataset:
>>
>> Assume you have a dataset URI (call it, myprefix:My_Dataset_URI)
>
> Of course, we probably aren't starting from a dataset URI, but one of several possible identifiers, like a GCMD DIF Entry ID, for example, or a DOI.  SHould be able to add those as properties to the Dataset though, and add clauses to the SPARQL query to "join" them.

Sure, the URI is just the simplest case.  It's a good point that you bring up though.  Do we want to extend the use case for some simple level of dataset discovery?  Say we have a GUI that asks for a dataset ID, after you type in some ID, should the GUI ask "Did you mean the DOI or the GCMD ID?"  Obviously, there won't be much (if any) overlap in these identification schemes, but its theoretically possible with any two identification schemes.  We may even want a GUI where people can first search for datasets by name or textual description, and then after choosing a specific dataset, find tools that match.