[esip-semanticweb] posted initial version of ToolMatch data model

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 2 09:18:51 EST 2012

On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:21 PM, Eric Rozell wrote:

>> Of course, we probably aren't starting from a dataset URI, but one of several possible identifiers, like a GCMD DIF Entry ID, for example, or a DOI.  SHould be able to add those as properties to the Dataset though, and add clauses to the SPARQL query to "join" them.
>
> Sure, the URI is just the simplest case.  It's a good point that you bring up though.  Do we want to extend the use case for some simple level of dataset discovery?  Say we have a GUI that asks for a dataset ID, after you type in some ID, should the GUI ask "Did you mean the DOI or the GCMD ID?"  Obviously, there won't be much (if any) overlap in these identification schemes, but its theoretically possible with any two identification schemes.  We may even want a GUI where people can first search for datasets by name or textual description, and then after choosing a specific dataset, find tools that match.

I was thinking of something a little simpler, namely a different blank for each kind of identifier.  Because if you have an identifier in-hand, you typically know where you got it from.

In addition, machine level code might do this as well, in which case, the REST-like URL might look like:

http://toolmatch.esipfed.org/findtools?doi=doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.695832
http://toolmatch.esipfed.org/findtools?gcmd_dif=GES_DISC_AIRX3STD_V005
--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185