[esip-semanticweb] [Esip-earthcollaboratory] ontological concepts for science

Fox, Peter pfox at cs.rpi.edu
Wed Jun 26 14:29:37 EDT 2013

https://scm.escience.rpi.edu/svn/public/ontologies/
and
http://escience.rpi.edu/ontology/ esp. see - http://escience.rpi.edu/ontology/BCO-DMO/1/0/

________________________________
From: esip-earthcollaboratory-bounces at lists.esipfed.org [esip-earthcollaboratory-bounces at lists.esipfed.org] on behalf of Jeff McWhirter [jeff.mcwhirter at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 14:25
To: Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102)
Cc: esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org; esip-earthcollaboratory at lists.esipfed.org
Subject: Re: [Esip-earthcollaboratory] ontological concepts for science

Thanks for all of the responses. My responses below.

If anyone is interested here are a couple of RAMADDA sites that show some of these constructs:
Here is an example repository I am putting together highlighting some of the data management capabilities in RAMADDA:
http://community.ramadda.org/repository/repos/data
Type specific search: http://community.ramadda.org/repository/repos/data/search/type

Here is the Antarctica program at Unavco's TLS (LiDAR) archive:
http://tls.unavco.org/repository/alias/antarctica

This has projects, sites, site visits, etc.

Chris Lynnes wrote:

This looks somewhat similar to the BCO-DMO ontology that the RPI+WHOI folks have been working on.  Maybe that ontology should be mined (or reused wholesale?) for more constructs.

It looks like this ontology fits very well with what I am developing. I think Campaign and Deployment are synonym-ish. I like that they have People and Instrument. Maybe their Affiliation could be generalized to be Organization.