[esip-semanticweb] [Esip-earthcollaboratory] ontological concepts for science

Jeff McWhirter jeff.mcwhirter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 17:39:26 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Fox, Peter <pfox at cs.rpi.edu> wrote:

>  https://scm.escience.rpi.edu/svn/public/ontologies/
> and
> http://escience.rpi.edu/ontology/ esp. see -
> http://escience.rpi.edu/ontology/BCO-DMO/1/0/

This is all really helpful. Thanks.

I'm going to integrate most of the BCO-DMO top-level concepts. Some of them
I characterize in RAMADDA as metadata elements - e.g., parameter. What I'm
looking for (and have found) are new container  types in RAMADDA  - e.g.,
deployment,  award, platform.  I had already things like Program, Project,
Location (Site).

We use these to types to define metadata, add functionality, provide for
archive navigation and convey meaning to the user.   So, for example, we
have the B-425 Project under the Antarctica Program:
http://tls.unavco.org/repository/entry/show?entryid=c865e7bb-e99c-4bac-8bee-be9470c43d1b

This Project contains a set of Sites and a Site contains any number of Site
Visits:
http://tls.unavco.org/repository/entry/show?entryid=0344ed3f-823e-42a6-88be-a48ec53252cb

 A given Site Visit can contain data sets, photo albums, etc:
http://tls.unavco.org/repository/entry/show?entryid=710a3648-f073-4839-8e0f-3384b15d9bbe

This is really about providing the means to come up with information
architectures for the sciences.

-Jeff