[esip-semanticweb] Semantic Web on Drupal code sprint tomorrow

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 8 11:35:55 EST 2015

Hi all,

I won't be able to make it, some silly thing about giving an ACDD presentation at the same time! But I'd like to mention an idea I've been considering a long time.

The MMI ORR and its installations has an API that lets ontologies be accessed and submitted remotely (see e.g. https://marinemetadata.org/mmiorrusrman/mmiorrprg).  If only Drupal could provide a portal to access the ORR vocabularies, for presentation (ideally similarly to Drupal taxonomies), for reflection of Drupal taxonomic content, and for manipulation (e.g., community editing via Drupal). In the ideal scenario, users could work with the content as Drupal content, but have the results mirrored to ORR to get those benefits (URL generation, inference, wider community visibility, etc.).

Of course, if this is viable then the Drupal interface could have libraries for multiple repository types, for compatibility with any number of services. That could make Drupal a really nice semantic hub.

I apologize if this is 'been there, done that' in the current Drupal incarnations, but in any case it might lead to some interesting thoughts for today's code spring. Best of luck!

John

John Graybeal
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org
MMI Ontology Registry and Repository: http://mmisw.org/orr