[esip-semantictech] proposed practices for COR

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Tue May 24 00:42:04 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

Last month I proposed we finalize some "conditions of operations" for the COR service at ESIP. It seems too soon to make final final decisions, but I want to propose a prototype deployment configuration that we might agree on.

First, we would keep the URI as esipsw.org, so a particular locally-hosted* ontology will resolve at http://esipsw.org/ont/<authority>/<ontname>, with URIs for terms adding '/<termID>'. (These match the current COR practice.)

Then, if we could agree to keep these practices unchanged for an evaluation period of at least 6 months, I can take down the red warnings and encourage people to start trying it out without worrying their work might get lost.

My dream would be to get approval for these operational practices on the call tomorrow, since I think they are not controversial for the prototype deployment of COR.

Thoughts welcome.

John

* "Locally hosted" ontologies in COR are ones whose primary URIs are created by COR in its local domain (esipsw.org). Remote-hosted ontologies specify their own URIs in some other domain for all their terms, and COR creates secondary URIs to resolve these terms.