[esip-semantictech] Ontology portal recommendations

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) Lewis.J.Mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 30 19:01:10 EDT 2016

Hi Ruth,
I realize this is painfully late but better late than never!

On 6/1/16, 9:00 AM, "esip-semanticweb on behalf of
esip-semanticweb-request at lists.esipfed.org"
<esip-semanticweb-bounces at lists.esipfed.org on behalf of
esip-semanticweb-request at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

>Well? I finally have started updating the ESIP Ontology Portal Evaluation
>page at
>http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Semantic_Web_Ontology_Portal_Evaluation_
>Approach
><http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Semantic_Web_Ontology_Portal_Evaluation
>_Approach> with some of my requirements.? Why?? Well? the PURL.org
><http://purl.org/> site is no longer accepting logins (OCLC seems to be
>abandoning this) and I can?t get in to redirect the location of any of my
>ontologies to be in either github (as migrated from google code) or the
>ESIP ontology portal.? ? So yet another example of the instability of
>infrastructure in the USA today.
>
>I also can?t edit/update my ontologies in the current ESIP portal to get
>rid of those mentions of purl.org <http://purl.org/> and google code??

Are you referring to [0] or [1] ? I am assuming it is the former as I
browsed some of the existing resources in there and see your various Sea
Ice ontologies.
To work through an example with you, I just uploaded the Semantic Sensor
Network (SSN) Ontology [2] which is now available at [3].
You are right in the sense that you cannot edit/update your ontologies in
the current ESIP portal to get rid of those mentions of purl.org
<http://purl.org/> and google code. It seems that once resources are
uploaded, they are immutable. The suggestion elsewhere was to use the
visioning support within the Ontology Portal. This can be done by
navigating to your ontology, then clicking on the ³Edit Submission
Information².
Once you get to the edit form, you can either upload
 - metadata only (choose this option if you want users to search and view
only the metadata for your ontology, but not its classes and properties)
 - Load from URL (new versions loaded daily) here you may be able to enter
a Github URL to your .owl/.rdf, etc. file
 - Upload Local File (choose a file on your local file system to upload)

When populating the form, you should use the optional ŒVersion¹ field to
version your ontology. This way, people will be able to choose which
resource they use. It will enable you to use your new Github location
where you store your ontologies. Note, right now the URL needs to be a
publicly HTTP-accessible resource. Authentication is not supported.

>This means that my current project is stuck unless I edit every file to
>hardcode in the github location and keep everything locally - a solution
>that works for me at the moment; but certainly doesn?t make those
>resources reusable by anyone else anywhere?.? Very annoying?.?

Indeed. Hopefully however versioning and use of HTTP resources within the
portal will mitigate at least some of the pain.

>Anybody have any suggestions as to better ways to proceed at this point??
>I have a current funded project which is reusing those darn sea ice
>ontologies and I hate having to waste time on this sort of
>!#$(*&$#$(*)$*@^# stuff?. Yes, migration is migration; but really I?m not
>migrating my work, I am having to migrate the rest of the semantic
>infrastructure world!

Yes you are having some real issues here. Hopefully the above lets you
ease the migration such that you don¹t get into a rankle again in the
future.
Lewis

[0] http://semanticportal.esipfed.org/ontologies
[1] http://esipsw.org/orr/