[esip-semantictech] basic questions about STC Use Cases and Requirements

John Graybeal jgraybeal at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 9 21:58:52 EST 2017

hi all,

Before I submit any questions or markup fo  the STC Use Cases and Requirements document, I wanted to clarify its goals.

As I understand it, this document was created as a means to evaluate the ontology repositories currently available to ESIP users. As discussed in meetings late last year, following the usual ESIP evaluation methodology, the evaluation criteria will be handed out to the evaluators with instructions on how to perform the evaluation. In previous cases I've known, Annie has created those instructions to match the circumstances of the evaluation, in consultation with the evaluation customer -- STC in this case.

So one question is, do we (the STC) have expectations for those instructions? I ask because the requirements are very lightly specified so far, roughly a list of features, so a lot of user judgment will be required to give useful feedback. If it is worth being more specific in the requirements, I can try to add some content toward that.

Also, in a few places (in 2.2, titled Evaluation of Semantic Repository Implementation Platforms), the document references semantic web technology *stacks* as an end goal of the STC. Does this, together with the document title and the broad-ranging use cases, mean this upcoming evaluation is about more than simply the semantic repository implementation?

Finally, please remind me the preferred format for markup. Thanks!

John

John Graybeal
Technical Program Manager
650-736-1632