[esip-semantictech] basic questions about STC Use Cases and Requirements

Beth Huffer beth at lingualogica.net
Fri Feb 10 07:39:23 EST 2017

Hi John,

You're correct that the STC Use Cases and Requirements were created to
aid in the evaluation of the ontology repositories. The target use cases
for the evaluation are 4.1, 4.2, 4.4 and 4.7. Some of the initial,
high-level use cases were combined because they were essentially
variations on the same theme. And some of the use cases were more like
functional requirements. We expect that when the evaluation begins we
will work with Annie to solidify the process. But I think in large part
the idea is to have the evaluators attempt to do the things specified in
the use cases and report on their experience. I suspect there will be
some set of criteria - i.e., for each use case, were you able to
succesfully complete it? If not, which step(s) were you unable to
complete. If yes, then for each step tell us.... whether you connected
via an api or a ui, how intuitive was the ui, were you able to get help
in cases where it was obvious what to do... I don't know for sure, but I
think we can work this out with Annie Burgess.

As for requirements, if you'd like to write up additional, or more
detailed requirements for any of the use cases, and send them around so
everyone has a chance to weigh in on them, that would be great. Since
the use cases were sent around initially to give people a chance to
comment and make changes, I don't want to start making unilateral
changes at this point. But as long as everyone has a chance to weigh in,
I'm not averse to making changes.

We have tried to link requirements to use cases, and the requirements
are high-level by design (somewhat). They're mostly functional
requirements - users of the repository must be able to do x - because
doing x is necessary for one or more use cases. For example, users must
be able to browse ontologies because doing so is necessary for editing
an existing ontology. But we want to be neutral about how requirements
are satisfied. We want the evaluators to just try doing this stuff, i.e,
pretend you're the person in use case 4.7 and try going through the
steps of the use case. If the browsing requirement isn't satisfied, or
if it is satisfied, but provides a bad user experience, we want that to
come out in the evaluation. In other words, user judgment is, in fact,
what we want.

That being said, please feel free to suggest changes and/or additions to
the use cases and their requirements.

Thanks John!

Beth