[esip-semantictech] follow-up to today's discussion of subcommittees

John Graybeal jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 10 13:49:07 EDT 2017

So I'm seeing two goals that overlap, and the approaches might also.
  (1) Create a structural practice that can be handed down.
  (2) Create a 'collaboration forum' that enables and encourage progress on a project (e.g., SWEET) without unnecessarily engaging the greater SemTech community.

The first can happen through the best practices of the individual leader, and I think this is largely the case with Lewis's approach. It may be that he can capture a "how-to" that illustrates at a basic level how he is managing the work, in the event someone else has to take it over. Though I wouldn't want to enforce that vigorously at this stage, because the practices are likely to keep evolving for the near term. But I endorse Beth's goals on general principle, they are appealing.

The second seems potentially useful, whether or not the first happens (but could certainly increase the opportunity for successful hand-off happening if/when it is needed). The question is whether there are enough interested parties, and enough issues that would benefit from discussion, to make it worth pursuing. Maybe as a low-cost test it could initially take form as a slack channel, and then the participants can decide if and when they need a meeting. In any case, I'd very much look to Lewis for his preferences here. (He Who Does The Work, Gets the Biggest Vote.)

John