[esip-semantictech] Handling the Tie VOTE for the Co-Chair Election

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) Lewis.J.McGibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 26 17:25:42 EST 2019

Hi Folks,
For those that were on today’s telecon, you will have seen the tie vote scenario regarding election for the incoming Co-Chair!
When I cast the ballot, it was stated that we would decide based on the observed results at todays telecon. The results were Brandon Whitehead 35%, Charles Vardeman 40%, Pier Luigi Buttigieg 40%.
This means that we have a tie VOTE. I therefore referred to dummies.com [0] for guidance on how to resolve this. The text is below.

=======================
Handling tie votes
Because a tie vote isn’t a majority, if your motion requires a majority vote, the motion is lost if it receives a tie vote. Therefore, a tie vote is as much of a decision as a majority vote in opposition.
If the vote is by ballot, the presiding officer votes with everybody else, and a tie vote is either a lost motion or a failed election. If you’re electing an officer, you must reballot until someone receives a majority.
However, if the vote is by voice, by rising, or by counted vote, the presiding officer properly casts a vote only after the results are known and if he wants his vote to affect the outcome. However, if he doesn’t want to change the outcome, the presiding officer shouldn’t vote at all; by reserving his vote, he preserves the appearance of impartiality while presiding.
As I have already voted along with everyone else the outcome is that this is a failed election.
At this stage I would like to propose a compromise, which is that we have both Charles and Pier work together with me in Chairing the SemTech Committee. The community can then hold another vote at a later stage regarding the election of the next Committee Chair. This would most likely take place when the time has come for the Chair position to be handed to the next person.
Unless I hear any objections, we will continue with committee business with both Pier and Charles acting as Co-Chairs.
Thank you to everyone who voted.
Lewis
[0] https://www.dummies.com/careers/business-skills/how-to-determine-voting-results-per-roberts-rules/

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc.
Data Scientist II
Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications Group (398M)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099