[esip-semantictech] [EXTERNAL] Re: 1st Pass science-on-schema.org now operational @PO.DAAC

Charles Vardeman charles.vardeman at gmail.com
Fri May 17 09:14:54 EDT 2019

Google presented a paper at the Webconf that describes the Dataset search
in more detail. It may be of interest to folks implementing
science-on-schema.org to have a description of the Google dataset search
backend. Here is a link to the paper.

Google Dataset Search: Building a search engine for datasets in an open Web
ecosystem
https://storage.googleapis.com/pub-tools-public-publication-data/pdf/77547c8d2a7fba472e76c774028cf2b3c0afdb8a.pdf

> On May 16, 2019, at 10:22 AM, Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) via
> esip-semanticweb <esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:
>

> Hi Folks,
>
> For those that are interested, I wanted to let you know that as of
> yesterday we’ve operationalized our tailored science-on-schema.org for
> both DataRepository and all of our Datasets at PO.DAAC.
>
> There is more work to be done specifically on how we define data catalogs
> e.g. whether we group by parameter, variable, sensor, etc. Additional we
> are also working on tooling which will enable us to see how our dataset
> landing pages look and rank within Google, Bing and Yahoo! search engine
> results. We will be making this tool open source such that others can use
> it as well.
>
> For those that are thinking of implementing the schema.org as we’ve just
> done, I will say to you that the documentation and guidance is DROP DEAD
> SIMPLE. It is very well written. KUDOS to Adam and Doug. Excellent work
> Gentlemen.
>
> Lewis
>

> Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc.(Hons)
>
> Data Scientist III
>
> Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications Group (398M)
>
> Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section (398)
>
> Jet Propulsion Laboratory
>
> California Institute of Technology
>
> 4800 Oak Grove Drive
>
> Pasadena, California 91109-8099
>
> Mail Stop : 158-256C
>
> Tel:  (+1) (818)-393-7402
>
> Cell: (+1) (626)-487-3476
>
> Fax:  (+1) (818)-393-1190
>
> Email: lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
>
> ORCID: orcid.org/0000-0003-2185-928X
>

>            <image001.png>
>

>  Dare Mighty Things

Charles F. Vardeman II, Ph.D.
Computational Scientist, Center for Research Computing
Research Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Engineering
University of Notre Dame
PO BOX 539
111C ITC Building
Notre Dame, IN 46556