[esip-semantictech] [AGENDA] ESIP SemTech Telecon - 2019-05-28

Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) Simon.Cox at csiro.au
Tue May 28 22:20:21 EDT 2019

Hi Blake –

Ø  The main idea is that RDF Literals are not suitable for complex geometry data.

Lets wind this back a bit.

From time to time there are proposals to encode geometry in RDF, seemingly with the notion that the RDF stack provides the tools necessary to process more or less any data. I’m not so sure. RDF is about relationships and logic, and not numerical computation. OTOH, processing geometry is very much about numbers. In particular multi-component quantities (vectors). RDF is weak on the latter. There is a strong case for recognising the boundary between logic and geometry, and apply the appropriate meta-model on each side of the boundary – RDF for logic, and something else for geometry. I’m fine with literals on the geometry side of the boundary.

A part of your argument that I do agree with is that computing topological relationships on-the-fly is a mugs game, for all the reasons that you showed in your presentation. But again, the GIS world has already been here – I think Arc/Info was topological, and only got dumbed down when shapefiles appeared and then didn’t recover topology when ArcGIS came along.

The necessary topological relationships are well known (three flavours are implemented in GeoSPARQL). If geometry is available (I don’t care if it’s in literals or RDF) then the topology can be pre-computed for all geometries and then stored. But it should be noted that essentially this is just caching, or an optimization strategy (though there may also be some cases, e.g. cadastre in many jurisdictions which rely on ‘meets and bounds’, i.e. where the topological relationships come first and geometry must be computed from them).

I’m not at all convinced that focussing on the serialization is the actual issue here.

Simon