[esip-semantictech] [AGENDA] ESIP SemTech Telecon - 2019-05-28

Blake Regalia blake.regalia at gmail.com
Thu May 30 10:37:22 EDT 2019

Please forgive the delayed response -- I am still traveling :)  Also, thank
you all for engaging in this discussion. I am adding Krzysztof Janowicz in
cc.

> From time to time there are proposals to encode geometry in RDF, seemingly
> with the notion that the RDF stack provides the tools necessary to process
> more or less any data. I’m not so sure.

I think there might be a misunderstanding, and please let me know if I am
missing something -- but the idea is to *not* encode geometry in RDF,
neither as Triples nor in Literals. NeoGeo proposed the former, GeoSPARQL
advises the latter. There are clear and pressing issues with storing large,
complex geometry data in Literals with no apparent benefit. While the idea
may seem okay on paper, it actually fails in practice. We demonstrated a
few of those issues in our workshop paper [1] and have since gathered
plenty more feedback from the community about other latent issues, such as
(just to name a few) the underlying RDBMS not allowing text literals beyond
a few megabytes, or creating named graphs with different levels of geometry
simplification in order to make spatial operations in SPARQL queries
feasible. Whether or not one views the use of literals as appropriate from
a modeling perspective, there are very real technical limitations that
prompted us to rethink the need for geometry in RDF, especially since it
seems these problems might only become apparent (and quite serious) at
scale.

If geometry is available then the topology can be pre-computed for all
> geometries and then stored. But it should be noted that essentially this is
> just caching, or an optimization strategy

Thank you for bringing this up because I think it is important to emphasize
that pre-computing topology is not simply about caching. When dealing with
geographic information, topology cannot be computed from geometry alone.
>From our latest paper [2]:

[...] we believe that knowledge graphs and Linked Data more concretely will
> benefit further from topological relations. One could now argue that such
> topological relations can be computed using geometries but not the other
> way around. While this is true in an abstract mathematical sense, it does
> not hold for actual data. In fact, topological relations between places
> cannot be easily computed based on geometry alone. While there are many
> reasons for this (Franklin, 1984; Computing and Querying Topological
> Relations in Linked Geographic Data 3 Ubeda and Egenhofer, 1997), our
> argument will focus on the role of domain knowledge, vagueness, and
> uncertainty (Bennett, 2001) and not on computational issues.

 - Blake

[1] https://blake-regalia.net/resource/2017-LDOW_Geometries.pdf
[2] https://blake-regalia.net/resource/2019-TGIS_Topology.pdf