[esip-semantictech] Reflections on the week

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 19 18:36:29 EDT 2019

Hi Folks,
As some of us head back to more familiar surroundings, I thought I’d briefly share some thoughts from the week.
It is clear that the role of data semantics is being re-realized within the ESIP informatics community. We continue to see dedicated session content grow with several full days worth of content being presented this week.
We are demonstrating that organic efforts can be ‘spun-out’ of SemTech into brand new clusters with dedicated, passionate leaders. This is an exemplary model within ESIP and I am very keen to see it continue.
This is a very positive indicator that our committee has a relevant and important role to play within ESIP now and into the future.
It is refreshing to see so many of our community adopting practical approaches to exploring and addressing new and exciting areas.
For those that were not able to join, we were able to define a 6-month strategy for the committee which keep us busy between now and ESIP Winter 2020. We will be moving forward with parts of this strategy almost immediately.
Thank you to those that attended sessions both in-person and remotely.
It’s been a very quick but very busy week and I hope it has been as rewarding for you as it has for me.
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone