[esip-semantictech] ESIP SemTech Budget Request for 2020

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 10 11:43:33 EDT 2019

Hi Rebecca,
Thanks for your email. Responses inline

    ------------------------------

    Message: 2
    Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 15:22:47 -0600
    From: Rebecca Koskela <rkoskela at unm.edu>
    To: "Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M)" <lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov>
    Cc: "esip-ficom at lists.esipfed.org" <esip-ficom at lists.esipfed.org>,
    	"esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org"
    	<esip-semanticweb at lists.esipfed.org>,  Esip-semanticharmonization
    	<esip-semanticharmonization at lists.esipfed.org>,  ESIP COR via Esip-cor
    	<esip-cor at lists.esipfed.org>
    Subject: Re: [esip-semantictech] [Esip-ficom] ESIP SemTech Budget
    	Request for 2020

    Lewis,

    We received your committee budget request and have some follow up
    questions.

       - There wasn't any detail included for the outreach materials - please
       describe the materials and how you arrived at the cost of the materials.

The sum you are referring to here is the $1000.
This is an estimated budget for the development and rollout of a seminar series (YouTube videos). The accompanying material which feeds into this is the development of all documentation, client toolkits, tutorials (Notebooks) and anything else we deem necessary to deliver a professional looking product.
We arrived at the cost simply by estimating the number of tutorials as 7 covering the following topics
* Installation and Administration
* searching and querying
* working with vocabularies
* working with ontologies
* working with mappings
* Advanced Topics - REST API
* Advanced Topics - SPARQL API

       - For the $2,292 evangelism funds, please specify the process for
       selecting who and what the funds will be used. It would be helpful to
       include a time frame for decisions included in the process.

We have a list of community members who attended in particular RDA last year. We will seed our selection process with those people by asking if they received funding this year. We will be short-listing people based on their knowledge of COR and their contributions to date. We will take into account the cost of sending them to domestic event(s) only and their proximity to that event. We anticipate roughly $1000 per event. One person can only attend one event.

       - Although there is more detail on the US2TS meeting, the person who
       will be attending this meeting is not named.  Please include the name of
       the person who will attend this meeting.

We have a list of community members who attended last year. We will seed our selection process with those people by asking if they received funding this year. We will take into account the cost of sending them to Boston area (MIT?) which is where we anticipate US2TS2020 being held.
We will also be applying for The Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF) Travel Fellowship program, with a particular focus on increasing diversity at bioinformatics-related events by helping to lower financial barriers to participation. This includes the US2TS conference. Travel awards are up to $1,000, and applications are reviewed three times a year. More information, including how to apply, can be found at https://github.com/OBF/obf-docs/blob/master/Travel_fellowships.md
Also, if we diced to send a student and/or early-career professional, they can apply for a Travel grant funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and the US National Science Foundation (NSF).
We are trying to be as resourceful as possible here given the limited budget for attending events.
No decisions will be made until US2TS2020 is announced. At that point we will make our decision within a month.

Thanks