[Esip-soil-informatics] Presentation on November 18 2300UTC

Todd-Brown, Kathe kathe.toddbrown at essie.ufl.edu
Mon Nov 16 09:00:07 EST 2020

Greetings everyone!

On Wednesday November 18 at 2300UTC Megan Wong will present on recent efforts at the Center for eResearch and Digital Information at the Federation University of Australia to broker soil data across a range of providers and data users. More information below:

Presentation Title: Our approach, challenges of and solutions for applying controlled vocabularies for the standardisation of soils data. Use cases: Farming Systems Groups and Catchment Management Authorities in Australia, The Centre for eResearch and Digital Innovation (CeRDI), Federation University Australia

Presenter: Dr Megan Wong, on behalf of CeRDI team working with soil data: Assoc Prof Peter Dalhaus, Bruce Simons, Andrew MacLeod, Heath Gillett, Dr Nathan Robinson, Dr Angela Neyland, Derek Walters

Abstract: The Centre for eResearch and Digital Innovation (CeRDI), Federation University Australia, are soil data brokers for a number of data providers and users, principally for Farming Systems Groups and Catchment Management Authorities. Some of the projects/initiatives being delivered under at present include Visualising Australasia’s Soils (Soil CRC), Corangamite and Glenelg Hopkins CMA Soil Heath Knowledge Bases, and the Agricultural Research Federation (AgReFed). We are users of controlled vocabularies, and where necessary we create and manage them. The application of controlled vocabularies helps to meet data provider/user use cases including: Search and discovery through a shared data platform; Communication, context and trust; and Interface functionality for data management. We receive data in mostly as excel format and database dumps, in unstructured formats, and not always well described. Whilst data providers use some standard Australian National methods, for example in soil chemistry, machine readable controlled vocabularies have needed to be created for these. We describe the types of vocabularies we have applied, to general observations and measurements design patterns, for the description of the soil data we deliver. We cover some of the challenges encountered in discovering, applying and creating controlled vocabularies, and our current solutions. This may provide some useful insights for the development of a Soil Ontology by this group.

As always the meeting notes with call in information is here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w3ScPH6tZCIRcKFiP-BYCa1UihYPei0aL0PcvandV4c/edit?usp=sharing and our new wiki page with all the links is here: https://wiki.esipfed.org/Soil_Ontologies_and_Informatics Please note there is new call-in information, we’ve switched over to ESIP Go-To-Meeting.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Wednesday!
---------
Katherine Todd-Brown, PhD

Assistant Professor
Environmental Engineering Sciences
Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment
Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering
University of Florida

Office: Rm B006, Phelps Lab, UF main campus
Twitter: @KatheMathBio

Mail: Dr Kathe Todd-Brown
Center for Wetlands
PO Box 116350