[Esip-soil-informatics] [Esip-semantictech] [MEETING] ESIP SeREEn Call

Nicholas Car nicholas.car at surroundaustralia.com
Tue Dec 8 18:24:53 EST 2020

Hi all,

Some small snippets of Loop3D ABox data are available via a couple of test
APIs just build for Geoscience Australia:

http://provinces.surroundaustralia.com/ - Geological Provinces
http://stratunits.surroundaustralia.com/ - Stratigraphic Units

These APIs are slow as they are built on top of other APIs and the link
between the Provinces & Strat Units isn't available yet but the aim was to
show internal GA data in Loop3D form and this has been achieved.

Here is a Province in human-readable form 1. and in Loop3D RDF 2. and the
list of all profiles and formats of the province 3.:

1. http://provinces.surroundaustralia.com/collections/agp/items/PR20119
2.
http://provinces.surroundaustralia.com/collections/agp/items/PR20119?_profile=loop3d&_mediatype=text/turtle
3.
http://provinces.surroundaustralia.com/collections/agp/items/PR20119?_profile=alt

Note that this provinces API is both a Linked Data API and an OGC Features
API.

As above for a Stratigraphic Unit but it's not an OGC Features API - no
spatial data available:

1. http://stratunits.surroundaustralia.com/collections/sus/items/SU1000
2.
http://stratunits.surroundaustralia.com/collections/sus/items/SU1000?_profile=loop3d&_mediatype=text/turtle
3.
http://stratunits.surroundaustralia.com/collections/sus/items/SU1000?_profile=alt

Please note that both APIs implement *Content Negotiation by Profile* [1]
to provide multiple views.

The Loop3D RDF includes references to Concepts in vocabularies, for example
the Strat Unit 1000 RDF (link above) includes:

<http://pid.geoscience.gov.au/feature/asc/gsml/geologicalunit/1000>
    gsoc:timeFinishedBy <
http://resource.geosciml.org/classifier/ics/ischart/Ludlow> ;

So the International Chronostratigraphic Chart's *Ludlow* Age is referenced.

Other ontology views of Provinces & Strat Units exhibit other properties
not yet known to Loop3D, for instance the *StratUnits Ontology * view of SU
1000 [2] includes the age link to Ludlow but also:

<http://pid.geoscience.gov.au/feature/asc/gsml/geologicalunit/1000>
    su:stratigraphicRank
<http://resource.geosciml.org/classifier/cgi/stratigraphicrank/formation>
;

Where the stratigraphic Rank value comes from CGI's Stratigraphic Rank
vocabulary, part of the published CGI vocab set [3].

Soon (a few weeks) a web client able to download chunks of Loop3D data from
those APIs will be made available so RDF can be pulled and used in caches
like triplestores.

Regards,

Nick

[1] https://w3c.github.io/dx-connegp/connegp/
[2]
http://stratunits.surroundaustralia.com/collections/sus/items/SU1000?_profile=su&_mediatype=text/turtle
[3] http://cgi.vocabs.ga.gov.au/

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:02 AM Brandon Whitehead via Esip-semantictech <
esip-semantictech at lists.esipfed.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the reminder, Simon.
>
> FYI --- two of the items on the agenda involve the LOOP project; one of
> them introduces the 'geoscience ontologies' being built as part of that
> project.
>
> I'd like to listen to these presentations.  Please accept my apologies
> for the ESIP meeting today.  I'll follow up with the notes later this
> week.
>
> /Brandon
>

> On Tue, 2020-12-08 at 19:43 +0000, Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) via Esip-
> semantictech wrote:
> > Ironically head to head with OGC GeoSciML session, which is heavy on
> > semantics today.
> >
> > Get Outlook for Android

kind regards
*Dr Nicholas Car*
Data Systems Architect at SURROUND Australia Pty Ltd
Address  Level 9, Nishi Building,
                  2 Phillip Law Street
                  New Acton Canberra 2601
Phone     +61 477 560 177 <++61+477+560+177>
Email       nicholas.car at surroundaustralia.comWebsite
https://www.surroundaustralia.com

*Enhancing Intelligence Within Organisations*
*delivering evidence that connects decisions to outcomes*

[image: Australian-National-University-Logo-1 – ANU Centre for Water and
Landscape Dynamics]

*Dr Nicholas Car*
Adj. Senior Lecturer

Research School of Computer Science